As horse insurance experts we understand that owning an equestrian property brings unique risks that standard property owners would not need to consider, and non-specialist household insurers would not generally need to ensure there is cover for.
The types of buildings and equipment required for keeping horses at home can often mean a standard household policy could be inadequate or worse invalid in the event of a claim.
The equestrian property team at SEIB have outlined three reasons why you should consider an equestrian home insurance policy:
You might not be covered – If you have purchased a popular UK household policy and keep your horses at home, you’re likely to be left unprotected in some areas in the event of a loss and your insurers may even be able to decline your claim.
Common gaps in cover are:
- Land adjacent which may hold your paddock or stables, may not be covered unless specifically stated on your policy, particularly if this is under a separate deed.
- Cover for equestrian items such as tack and saddlery may be restricted particularly whilst away from the home, i.e. at a show.
You’ll get more cover for your money – This scheme allows you to insure multiple equestrian items and equipment under one cost-effective policy. It includes a wide-range of covers as standard, such as:
- Public Liability cover up to £10 million which includes additional and acquired land as well as country pursuits
- Liability cover for horses kept at your home, that may not be insured otherwise (i.e. veterans)
- Marquees up to £30,000
- Office business equipment up to £20,000 and business stock up to £10,000
- No limit on outbuilding contents including tractors, quad bikes and machinery*
- Single item limit of £10,000 on jewellery and £20,000 on arts and antiques
- Worldwide contents cover
- Alternative accommodation cover for up to 5 years
- Unlimited Trace & Access cover for finding the source of a water leak within the home
Flexibility around what you need – there are options to include insurance for a variety of additional covers. These can include:
- Tack, horse trailer, hay, straw and feed
- Off-road and agricultural vehicles
- Liveries (if you rent your stables out)
- Legal expenses cover for up to £100,000 with specialist helplines
SEIB have been providing insurance for horses for over 50 years. This experience allows us to tailor policies to suit your circumstances and ensure that you, your horses and your properties are covered should the worst happen. If you’d like advice on your insurance please call us on 01708 850000.
*Terms & Conditions apply