Can dogs and horses be friends? Absolutely! But does it take work? Yes.
Whether you’re the one in the saddle, or on the ground, you want to ensure that any meeting you have with a horse or a dog is as stress-free as possible.
As horse insurance specialists many of our team are horse riders and owners who have all had positive and negative meetings with dogs on their rides
Below they’ve summarised their top 5 tips for dog owners to help stay safe around horses.
- Socialise and train your dog to be calm around horses from an early age
- Ensure your dog is under control, if you do not have a good recall, keep your dog on a lead
- If you see a horse approaching, call your dog, put them on a lead and stand in a visible please until the horse(s) have passed
- Remember their natural instincts - horses are flight animals and dogs are predators and will chase
- Encourage your dog not to bark, you can do this by rewarding good behaviour
You can view the infographic below and please feel free to share this with your friends and family on social media.
SEIB have been arranging horse insurance for over 50 years and we also offer pet insurance too. This experience allows us to tailor policies to suit your circumstances.